Wednesday, January 19, 2011

LIKE MOTHER NOT LIKE DAUGHTER

I love makeup. I care what clothes I wear. I can obsess over a pair of shoes or a perfectly tailored jacket. This is me. It is not necessarily my daughter. While my daughter shows signs of all these interests I fret that maybe it is my influence that has her crazy for paper fashion dolls and not her own. When she tries to put on my makeup or stares at herself in the mirror muttering about the color of her hair I want to remove all mirrors (and Disney books) and give her the "you're beautiful just the way you are" speech. But then I feel like a hypocrite. How can I powder, spray, wax, peel, update my wardrobe, etc but tell her to be happy as is? My only solution is to model sane behavior. (No, that doesn't mean wearing sweatpants every day and forgoing makeup.. that would be completely insane) Instead, I will wear makeup and smile at myself in the mirror instead of asking myself, "Why did I bother?". If I step on the scale and it goes up I will exclaim, "Yes! I'm growing!" And when the grey hairs start coming in I will marvel at their shiny-ness...instant highlights! Maybe if she sees the fun in the non glam moments as much as the glamorous ones the kid'll be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment